All applicants must meet the following six (6) eligibility requirements for the ʻImi Naʻauao Scholarship. Click on the requirements below for more information.
1. Hawaiʻi resident
Applicants are required to be a Hawaiʻi resident at the time of application submission. A Hawaiʻi resident is defined as living continuously in the State of Hawaiʻi for at least twelve (12) consecutive months prior to the date of application.
For returning scholarship recipients who:
- Received an award disbursement in the 2019-2020 school year and
- Will pursue the same degree program in the 2020-2021 school year and
- Are living outside of the State of Hawaiʻi,
You are considered a Hawaiʻi resident and eligible for the 2020-2021 application period.
2. Minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0
Awarding of this scholarship is partially based on academic achievement. All students must have a minimum 3.0 GPA to be eligible for consideration.
3. Conferred/anticipating a Bachelor’s degree by Spring 2020
This scholarship is for Graduate students. All applicants must currently have or be anticipating a Bachelor’s degree by Spring 2020.
4. Full-time student
Enrollment in a full-time graduate program is required. Applicants who are enrolling part-time must meet Kamehameha Schools non-traditional guidelines and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis, if awarded.
A non-traditional student is defined as one of the following:
- Single Parent
- Sole Income Provider
- Disabled (Meets ADA Definition)
- Ward of the Court
Supporting documentation must be provided to KS to be given this special consideration.
5. Classified, degree-seeking student
Enrollment in a classified, graduate degree-seeking program or a post-baccalaureate Teaching Certificate program is required. All other Certificate programs are not eligible for funding. Applicants must also be attending an accredited educational institution in the U.S. that is recognized by KS.
The ʻImi Naʻauao Scholarship is available to students enrolled at educational institutions accredited by the following regional accrediting organizations:
- Middle States Association of Colleges & Schools – Commission on Higher Education
- Northwest Commission on Colleges & Universities
- Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges – Commission on Institutions of Higher Education
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges – Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges – Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities
Qualified Hawaiʻi institutions include:
- Argosy University
- Brigham Young University, Hawaiʻi campus
- Chaminade University of Honolulu
- Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Hawaiʻi campus
- Hawaiʻi Pacific University
- Hawaiʻi Tokai International College
- University of Hawaiʻi campuses and affiliated community colleges
- University of Phoenix
- Wayland Baptist University, Hawaiʻi campus
- Pacific Rim Christian University, Hawaiʻi campus
6. Meet Maximum Funding guidelines
The number of years a student is eligible for an award is limited and is based upon the degree the student is pursuing. When determining the number of years a student has received funding from KS, both KS College Scholarships and ʻImi Naʻauao scholarships are included in the calculation. The following table provides the number of years a student may receive KS funding by degree.
Maximum Funding Table
|Degree||Max Funding Eligibility
|Associate (AA or AS)||3 years
|Bachelors (BA or BS)||5 years
|Total Undergraduate Eligibility||5 years (Associate + Bachelor years combined)
|Teaching Certificate (TC)||2 years
|Masters (MA, MS, MBA)||3 years
|Total Graduate Eligibility||NHAP + Imi
|Professional Degrees* |
including, but not limited to:
•Chiropractic (D.C., D.C.M.)
•Dentistry (D.D.S., D.M.D.)
•Law (LL.B., J.D.)
•Medicine (M.B., M.D.)
•Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.)
•Podiatry (D.P.M., D.P., Pod.D.)
•Theology (M.Div, M.H.L., B.D., Ordination)
•Veterinary Medicine (D.V.M., V.M.D.)
|As specified by the university