Post-High Glossary

Click here to download a PDF copy  — Coming Soon!

KS Resource Centers (KSRC)KSRC staff are available to answer questions regarding KS programs, application status, and document drop-off may be requested or picked up from this location.
Certification StatementThis is a required KS document which certifies that the information provided is true, to the best of your knowledge and must be electronically submitted via Net Partner, visit:
College BoardThe College Board is a not-for-profit membership association whose mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. To apply for this KS scholarship, you must first create an account with College Board at:
Community Service Portal (CSP)The Community Service Portal is available for award recipients to document and submit their community service hours for the current academic year. (i.e.: July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020, for a 2019-2020 academic year awardee)
Cost of Attendance (COA)A figure provided by colleges and/or college financial offices that estimate the total costs of attending that particular school for a period of one year. Included in the estimate are all reasonable expenses such as tuition, room and board, books and supplies, personal expenses and transportation.
CSS ProfileThe College Scholarship Services (CSS) Profile is an on-line financial aid application and is administered by The College Board used to determine financial need.
Data CenterKS’ Ho‘oulu Hawaiian Data Center which processes all Hawaiian Ancestry Registry forms for those who want to be considered under KS’ preference policy.
Dependency OverrideIn cases involving unusual circumstances, the financial aid administrators at your school, at their judgment, may be able to change your dependency status from Dependent to Independent; even if you do not meet the definition as an independent. (See Dependent Student vs. Independent Student). Contact the financial aid office at your school for more information. To process your application as an independent, submit the letter from your school verifying your dependency override was approved to KSRC.
Dependent StudentYou are a dependent applicant if you identify with at least  one  of the following…
• You are less than 24 years old in 2019 (born on or after January 1, 1995)
• You do not have any legal dependents
• You have been legally adopted
• You are not a Veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces
• You are not in a graduate or professional program
• You are not married
Disabled StudentStudent who is unable to engage in any substantial gainful activity by reason of any medically determinable physical or mental impairment(s) which can be expected to result in death or which has lasted or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 12 months.
Distance Learning orA program where ALL courses in which the student is enrolled are offered through a virtual learning environment.
On-line Program
Estimated Family Contribution (EFC)Information provided on your CSS/PROFILE application is used to calculate your EFC. The EFC is an estimated amount you and your family can contribute towards your education costs. Many factors are considered when calculating your EFC, which include: income net worth, living expenses, family size, and the number of children attending college. The difference between the Cost of Attendance and the EFC equals the student’s financial need – the gap between the cost of attending the school and the student’s resources.
FASSKS’ Financial Aid and Scholarship Services.
Full-time statusUndergraduate – a minimum of 12 credits per term or as defined by the program.
Graduate – a minimum of 6-9 credits per term or as defined by the program.
Graduate studentA student in a Master’s, Juris Doctor’s, Medical Doctor’s, and/or Doctor of Philosophy degree program at a college or university.
Half-time statusHalf-time (part-time) status is dependent upon the college or program you have enrolled in. Please contact KSRC for clarification.
Hawaiian Ancestry Registration (HAR) FormThose who wish to be considered under KS’ preference policy must complete this form and submit to KS’ Ho‘oulu Hawaiian Data Center for processing and ancestry verification.
Hawai‘i ResidentAnyone who has lived in the State of Hawai‘i for at least 12 consecutive months prior to application. In the case of a dependent student, the parent or guardian must have lived in Hawai‘i for at least 12 consecutive months.
HomelessStudent who lacks a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence or has a primary nighttime residence that is publicly supervised or a privately operated shelter designed to provide temporary living accommodations (e.g. emergency or transitional shelter).
‘Imi Na‘auaoA KS’ merit-based scholarship administered by FASS and is available to post-baccalaureate students.
Independent StudentYou are an independent applicant if you identify with at least  one  of the following…
• You are 24 years old or above in 2019 (born prior to January 1, 1995)
• You are married
• You are enrolled in a graduate or professional school program
• You have legal dependents other than a spouse
• You are an orphan or ward of the court
• You are a U.S. military veteran
IDOCInstitutional Documentation Service, The College Board’s data collection and verification service.
KSKamehameha Schools
Maximum FundingMaximum Funding is based on the number of years a student receives funding from KS. Any disbursement, regardless of number of terms and/or credits awarded will be considered as one year.
KS Net PartnerKS Net Partner is an online communication tool used to view the status of your application, required documents, and important messages from FASS. To access Net Partner, visit:
New ApplicantApplicants who did not receive funds during the 2018-2019 academic year or who received funds in 2018-2019 and are applying for a progressive degree (bachelors to masters, masters to doctorate, etc.), 2nd or regressive degree (bachelors to bachelors or masters to associates, etc.).
Non-TraditionalAn applicant who is a single parent, sole income provider, homeless, disabled, or Ward of the Court.
Post-High Counselor (PHC)A KS Post-High Counselor is assigned to Nā Ho‘okama a Pauahi recipients; they will work with you providing guidance and help you achieve your goals in college and career.
Renewal ApplicantA Nā Ho‘okama a Pauahi or ʻImi Naʻauao recipient who received funds from KS in the prior year and in the same degree objective.
Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Recipients must meet the following conditions:
Undergraduate student – Maintain a GPA of 2.0 or higher and credits earned must equal to the number of credits awarded by KS.
Graduate student – Maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher and credits earned must equal to the number of credits awarded by KS.
Single ParentIndependent student with primary financial and sole/joint physical custody of his/her dependent child.
Sole ProviderIndependent student who provides the sole financial support for the entire household. Must include: student, spouse/partner/ significant other, and dependent child.
Undergraduate studentA student studying for an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree at a college or university.
Ward of the Court Individual who was placed under the protection of the courts until age 18. If the individual was subsequently adopted he/she will not be considered a Ward of the Court. Student must not be independent for any other reason.