Nā Hoʻokama a Pauahi Scholarshippoli2015

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Click here to download a PDF copy.

General Information

  1. Who do I contact if I am interested in receiving information regarding the scholarship?

Please contact the KS Applicant Services Center (KS-ASC) at (808) 534-8080 or toll free at 1-800-842-4682, and then press 2.


  1. Why is the application period earlier than previous years?

To align with the new application dates for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), the Nā Hoʻokama a Pauahi scholarship application will now be available from October 3rd, 2016 through February 17th, 2017.


  1. Can I apply for more than one KS Financial Aid and Scholarship Services (FASS) post-high scholarship program?

Yes. Students may apply for more than one scholarship from FASS, but may only be granted an award, if any, from one program per academic year. Graduate students who qualify, apply, and are awarded both Nā Hoʻokama a Pauahi and ‘Imi Naʻauao scholarships will be awarded the ‘Imi Naʻauao scholarship. An eligible application does not guarantee a scholarship award.


  1. Will I be able to receive funds from other KS-funded programs, either administered by KS or through a collaborator?

No, students cannot receive funds from more than one KS program.


  1. Do I need to reapply if I received a scholarship during the 2016-2017 academic year?

Yes, all students must reapply each year in order to be considered for an award. Your financial situation and eligibility must be assessed annually.


  1. What is the difference between distance-learning and online programs?

Distance-learning and online is used interchangeably. FASS is interested in knowing if the applicant is enrolled in a distance-learning/online program where all courses are offered through a virtual learning environment.


  1. If I am enrolled in a vocational certificate program, do I meet the eligibility criteria?

No, you do not meet the eligibility criteria. Applicants must be classified as a degree seeking student (i.e. associates, bachelor, masters, doctoral, etc.); however, Alu Like administers the Hana Lima program that provides a scholarship for vocational certificate programs. For more information visit Alu Like’s website at www.alulike.org.



  1. Is the $25.00 CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE® application fee refundable by KS?

No, KS does not refund the $25.00 CSS/PROFILE application fee. The application fee is payable to College Board.


  1. Why are 2015 tax information and documents being collected?

For School Year 2017-2018 FAFSA will be collecting information based on Tax Year 2015.  To prevent confusion and additional work for scholarship applicants, Kamehameha Schools has made the decision to align with FAFSA and collect financial information from Tax Year 2015. This will enable students and families to apply for scholarships earlier.


  1. If I have completed my 2016 federal tax return, can I submit those documents?

No. 2016 tax documents will not be accepted in lieu of 2015 tax documents.


  1. I submitted my 2015 tax documents for the 2016-2017 application year, can KS use the documents I previously submitted?

No. Applicants must provide copies of their tax documents each application year. If you applied in the 2016-2017 application year, please submit your 2015 tax documents to IDOC.


  1. What is the fastest way to submit my 2015 tax documents to IDOC?

Utilize the IDOC upload feature for fast, secure document submission. To upload your 2015 tax documents, visit: https://idoc.collegeboard.org/idoc/. For the 2017-2018 application year, IDOC will be available beginning November 1st, 2016.


  1. Is there a difference in the way my tax documents are processed by IDOC if I submit my 9-digit Social Security Number (SSN) vs. my last 4-digits of my SSN?

All tax documentation submitted to IDOC is tracked by the applicant’s and parents’ 9-digit Social Security Number (SSN). While IDOC accepts documents listed with the last 4-digits of the SSN, there may be a delay in the processing of your application.


  1. Why am I considered a dependent even when I live on my own, and my parents do not support me or claim me as a dependent on their tax return?

For KS scholarship purposes, applicants who can be defined as a dependent must submit their custodial parent(s’) financial documents.

A dependent is defined as a student who is NOT one of the following:

-Born after January 1, 1991 (under the age of 24)
-A veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces
-In a Graduate or Professional Program
-An orphan or Ward of the Court until the age of 18
-Have any legal dependent other than a spouse


  1. What is Net Partner?

Net Partner is an online communication tool where applicants can access and monitor their application status, document status, and important messages from KS Financial Aid and Scholarship Services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!


  1. Why are applicants required to apply online through Net Partner?

The Certification Statement (required document) is accessed via Net Partner’s ‘Apply Online’ tab. KS uses an electronic format of the Certification Statement to increase our efficiency in handling the document’s submission.


  1. Is there a fee to use Net Partner?



  1. How can I authorize a person(s) to receive information regarding my application?

In order to adhere to privacy laws, if you are 18 years and older and desire to share your application information with a designated person(s), you must complete an Authorization for Release of Information form (ARI). Submit the ARI form to KS ASC.


  1. I did not apply (or was not awarded) for the 2016-2017 academic year, but I received a scholarship from Kamehameha Schools (KS) prior to the 2016-2017 academic year. Am I considered a new or renewal applicant?

New applicant.


  1. If I received a KS scholarship during the 2016-2017 academic year and will be pursuing a progressive degree (Bachelor’s to Master’s degree, Master’s to Doctorate degree, etc.), am I considered a new or renewal applicant?

New applicant. However, if you are progressing from an Associate’s to a Bachelor’s degree, you would be considered a renewal applicant.


  1. If I received a KS scholarship during the 2016-2017 academic year and will be pursuing a 2nd degree (Bachelor’s to Bachelor’s degree, Bachelor’s to Associate’s degree, Master’s to Master’s degree, etc.), am I considered a new or renewal applicant?

New applicant.


 Required Documents

  1. What is the Certification Statement?

The Certification Statement is a required document stating that the applicant and/or parent(s) is providing accurate information and failure to disclose any requested information, or providing inaccurate information, may result in the ineligibility of the application. It also states that the applicant and/or parent(s) agree if any lawsuit is filed, that it would be filed in the State of Hawaii or District of Hawaii.


  1. Is the Certification Statement a required document to complete the application process?

Yes. The Certification Statement is a KS required document and must be submitted electronically via Net Partner (‘Apply Online’ tab). To access Net Partner, go to: https://webapp.ksbe.edu/NetPartnerStudent.


  1. If I am not required to file 2015 Federal income taxes and/or can be claimed as a dependent on my parents’ taxes, am I required to submit an IDOC Non-Tax Filer Statement?

Yes, you and/or your parent(s) who are not required to file 2015 1040/1040A/1040EZ U.S. Income Tax Returns must submit the student and/or parent(s) 2015 IDOC Non-Tax Filer Statement to IDOC.


  1. Can I submit a W-2CG or tax preparer’s W-2 statement in place of Form W-2?

No, the W-2CG is not acceptable. Submit an employer issued 2015 W-2 form(s) or a W-2 transmittal from the Internal Revenue Service to IDOC.


  1. I am a Renewal applicant. When is the deadline to submit my transcripts?

Renewal applicants must submit transcripts for each awarded term within 30 days after the end of the term.


Community Service

  1. Do New applicants have to complete the 50 hours community service required by the scholarship?

No, applicants who did not receive a scholarship disbursement during the 2016-2017 academic year are not required to complete community service hours.


  1. If I was awarded in the 2016-2017 academic year, what is the period that I can perform my community service requirement?

Community service(s) should be performed between July 1, 2016 through June 30, 2017.


  1. If I am enrolled less than full-time and receive funding, do I still need to complete the 50 hours of community service?

Yes, if you are disbursed any amount of KS post-high scholarship funding, you are required to perform the 50 hours of community service.


  1. How do I report my community service hours?

Report hours using the Community Service Portal(CSP). Visit: https://webapp.ksbe.edu/ParentPortal/csp/login.aspx. Use the e-mail you provided KS Financial Aid & Scholarship Services to register.


  1. When should I submit my community service hours?

We recommend submitting your hours immediately after performed. For 2016-2017 award recipients, 50 hours should be submitted by July 17, 2017.


  1. What happens to my award if I do not submit my community service hours by the given deadline(s)?

Community service hours submitted past the given deadline dates will result in a delay in future award disbursement.



  1. How will my scholarship check be disbursed?

Participating Hawaii post-high institutions that accept master checks will receive checks made payable to the institution – your signature is not required for disbursement of funds. For Hawai‘i institutions that do not accept master checks and for all mainland institutions, funds will be disbursed to the institution’s financial aid or business offices. Your college may require you to sign for your scholarship. Please check with your school to see if your signature is needed.


  1. If I change my enrollment status, will my original award amount change?

If there is a change in enrollment status, the original award amount may decrease, but will not increase.


  1. If I am confirmed as a non-traditional student and receive an initial award based on part-time enrollment, will the award amount increase if I change to a full-time enrollment?

No, the initial award amount will not increase.


  1. What if I have a change in circumstance?

Change in circumstances that occur on or before May 24th, 2017 will be taken into consideration. Please contact KS-ASC at (808) 534-8080 or toll free 1-800-842-4682, then press 2 to notify our office.


  1. How do I request for reconsideration after receiving the award decision letter? (i.e. change in my and/or my parent(s) financial situation, loss of job, birth of child, transfer to another school, etc.)

Requests for reconsideration will be made on a case-by-case basis dependent on the circumstance and timing of the occurrence. Reconsideration request forms cannot be submitted until an award decision letter is received. You have 30 calendar days from the date on the letter to submit a reconsideration form.


  1. What is the impact if I receive an award and decide to change the college I plan to attend?

Depending on the cost of attendance, the award may result in a cancellation or an adjustment that is equal or less than the initial award.