Kāpili ʻOihana-"To build a career or profession"
Kapili ‘Oihana Internship Program (KOIP) provides Native Hawaiian college students with the opportunity to apply academic experience in a real world environment, meet and learn from professionals in their field of interest, develop skills and competencies, build a network of contacts, and increase their hiring potential upon graduation.
(pictured above: ADC Maui intern and site supervisors)
Internship Site Benefit
- Support students in building skills and competencies
- Give back to the community
- Test drive talent and find future employees
- Enhance perspective by bringing fresh ideas and new skillsets to an organization
Internship Site's Role
- Provide interns with the orientation of a professional work environment
- Provide meaningful, relevant assignments that are career specific
- Exposure to various departments within a company
- Assign a qualified mentor/supervisor to guide intern
- Evaluate intern’s interviewing, work performance, and program coordination
(pictured above: ʻĀina Archaeoloy, WCIT Architecture and DTL staff and 2016 KOIP interns)
Project Based Learning
The Kāpili ʻOihana Internship Program (KOIP) provides Native Hawaiian college students with opportunities to apply academic experience in a real world environment, meet and learn from professionals in their field of interest, develop skills and competencies, build a network of contacts, and increase their potential to secure a career of their choosing. KOIP sites have been integral in providing enriching opportunities to interns which have resulted in their professional and personal growth.
(Pictured above: 2016 Pae Pae o Heʻeia intern taking water quality samples)
In planning for our seventh KOIP session, we recognized a need to elevate the program in the area of learning. During our site visits we spoke with many interns who were engaging in various projects, resulting in a greater application of academic knowledge to their site work. We determined that this type of learning and application was in alignment with the educational approach of Project Based Learning. More information about Project Based Learning is available in the Site Information Form.
Interested in hosting an intern for the Summer 2017 session? Click the link below to access the Site Information Form